by Audrey Russo
Recently, in a meeting with Australian Foreign Minister Carr, Israeli Foreign Minister Avigdor Liberman slammed the Palestinian Authority for their letter to the EU urging it to reconsider its relations with Israel. And rightfully so…
“Slanderous” was what Liberman called the communication. Why? Because it accused Israel of: Theft and exploitation of natural resources, the closing of the Gaza Strip, destroying projects in the West Bank, settler violence, changing the demographics in Jerusalem, protracted use of administrative detention, and the practice of “extrajudicial killings and torture.”
Liberman stated that the letter sounded more like it was “better suited to The Protocols of the Elders of Zion and Der Sturmer.” He concluded that peace is impossible because PA leader Mahmoud Abbas and the PA will not engage.
Not surprising…but this is not the ONLY reason there will never be peace with Abbas…
• He was the best-bud of Yasser “I live in an eternal hotfoot” Arafat, who founded the Terror group Fatah (which was responsible for the 1972 Munich Olympic murder of 11 Israelis). Arafat consistently told his people that anyone who makes bargains with Israel is a traitor (they still prove that by the calls for death for anyone who works with the Jewish State). And like Arafat, Abbas does not want to go down in history as the first “Palestinian” leader to make concessions, specifically on issues such as refugees and Jerusalem.
• When Abbas was the legitimate president of the PA (when Fatah was the majority party), he never signed a treaty with Israel…and his doing so now, when he is NOT the legit president (Hamas is the majority party), is highly unlikely.
• In 2000, then Israeli PM Ehud Barak absurdly offered more than 90% of the territories captured by Israel in the Six Day War. Arafat rejected the offer because he was afraid of being condemned by Arabs and Muslims for having “sold out to the Jews.” Arafat was an icon and if HE was afraid of the people’s response, it’s clear Abbas is in less favor and will refuse anything but 100% of their demands be met by Israel: No compromise.
• Abbas consistently promises his people he will not compromise on “right of return” and Jerusalem. And in doing so, he’s made an illegitimate precondition to peace talks.
• Abbas has regularly denounced Israeli leaders as “war criminals” to his people, therefore any announcement of meetings with the Israeli leadership draws protests in the streets from his people.
• Abbas is a founder, with Arafat, of Fatah. Article 12 of their charter states: “Complete liberation of Palestine, and eradication of Zionist economic, political, military, and cultural existence.” This has NEVER been denied or relented of by Abbas.
Throw into the mix the fact that Abbas (aka Abu Mazen) was responsible for the financing of the Fatah terrorists, who slaughtered those 11 innocent Israelis at the 1972 Munich Olympics. And add to THAT, his doctoral thesis was: “The Other Side: The Secret Relations between Nazism and the Leadership of the Zionist Movement” — a denial of the Holocaust of 6 million Jews…and a work for which, to this day, he has never expressed remorse.
So…Got Peace? Well, it will NEVER occur with the devil in the dark suit named Abbas.
Shalom through strength…
Audrey Russo is the Host of the weekly REELTalk Radio Show and the co-host of WOMANTalk Radio Show. She handles Middle East Issues/National Security/Terrorism for their eZine and writes on foreign affairs for The Examiner.com. She guests on several radio shows including The Rick Amato Show, The Simon Conway Show, The Pat Campbell Show and The Mike Wiley Show. Audrey is the Managing Editor for the online opinion journal Ediblog.com. Her articles can also be read at The Center for Changing Worldviews and the Gold Coast Chronicle as well as other online journals. She is also an active member of the NYC performing arts community as a singer and actor.