A state police spokesman called it “unfortunate” Monday that details of a state police official’s presentation on the Sandy Hook shooting investigation, which suggested the shooter may have planned the massacre well in advance, leaked out before it had been shared with the victims’ families.
But in a written statement, Lt. J. Paul Vance did not take issue with specifics of the report that Sandy Hook Elementary School shooter Adam Lanza planned the massacre in obsessive detail on a 7-foot-long, 4-foot-wide spreadsheet.
The spreadsheet chronicled many other such crimes, down to how many people were killed and which weapons were used — with research worthy of a doctoral dissertation — according to a report in the New York Daily News.
Existence of the spreadsheet, which was said to essentially be a “score sheet” that Lanza hoped to put his name at the top of, was first reported by Mike Lupica of the Daily News after someone who attended a law enforcement meeting in New Orleans last week shared details of a Connecticut state police colonel’s presentation on the Sandy Hook shooting investigation.
The column suggested it was evidence that Lanza might have planned the crime for much longer than previously thought.
Lupica’s column cited an unnamed law enforcement source who was there when Connecticut state police Col. Danny Stebbins spoke at the International Association of Police Chiefs and Colonels mid-year meeting in New Orleans last week.
“We were told (Lanza) had around 500 people on this sheet,” Lupica quoted the source as saying. “Names and the number of people killed and the weapons that were used, even the precise make and model of the weapons. It had to have taken years. It sounded like a doctoral thesis, that was the quality of the research.”
Read more: minutemannewscenter.com