by Larry Usoff
Clash Daily Guest Contributor
From time to time a listener to my radio show will ask me what I’d do if I were president. I believe that a strong, third, party is necessary in our country, and mine would be called The Firebrand Party…and here’s the manifesto:
Now, Part Three:
25. If you work for the government, at any level, what you do or say you will be responsible for and you’ll sign your name to it. If it’s good, you’ll get the credit, if it’s bad you’ll take the blame…and probably lose your job.
26. Government pensions shall ONLY be given to those persons that serve 20 years or more in continuous Government service. Military retirements shall be not less than 75% of the active duty pay scale for that rank and will have cost-of-living increases such as Congress may enact, but not less than 2% per year. Military retirees shall have full access to health care and their dependents shall have healthcare on an as-available basis. Children of retirees shall not be eligible for benefits after age eighteen, unless there is a permanent mental or physical disability.
27. Science must be a major investment of this country and to do that we must re-invent our educational system. If that means meritorious tenure, so be it. If it means longer school days or terms, so be it. We must regain our position of leadership in the world.
28. Any elected/appointed official serving in a federal position who is convicted of a crime must resign or be removed from that office at the time of conviction…and will receive NO pension or “golden parachute” monies.
29. Any employer found to be using illegal employees shall be fined $1000 per day for each of the illegal employees, for the first offense. A second offense shall be the monetary fine plus one year in federal prison and the third offense will be all of the above, PLUS the shutting-down of the business involved and revocation of any licenses, permits or certificates used in the performance
of that business.
30. Any bill coming before the Congress of the United States shall be a stand-alone bill, with no riders, attachments or earmarks of any kind. Bills that are to benefit only a state or an area within that state shall be handled at the state level with no federal funding involved.
31. The Department of Energy shall be decommissioned. Not having developed anything but a bureaucracy in over thirty years shows it is not required.
32. The agency handling education in this country shall be reconfigured, with a representative of each state appointed to a board that shall oversee the textbooks. That board, and two aides for each member, shall comprise the entire Department of Education. They will meet twice a year, in Washington, and present their findings.
33. Any person seeking a federal job, at any level, shall be able to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt, that they are a natural-born citizen, and that both parents were American citizens at the time of the job-seeker’s birth.
34. Any federal employee that is tried and found guilty of treason, during any armed conflict in which the US is engaged, shall be executed within 60 days of being sentenced. All federal executions shall take place at one minute after midnight.
35. The federal prison system shall consist of ten regions, and each region shall have five federal prisons capable of handling not less than 5000 prisoners each.
36. The Constitution of the US is the supreme law of the land and no foreign laws or courts shall have consideration in any legal proceedings in the US.
“Non sibi sed patriae” (Not self but country) This will be the motto of THE FIREBRAND PARTY.
Image: Courtesy of: http://www.flickr.com/photos/blmurch/95658030/
Larry Usoff US Navy Retired. Articulate. Opinionated. Patriotic. Conservative. Cultured enough so that I can be taken almost anywhere. Constitutionalist. Make no excuses for what I say or do, but take responsibility for them.