As Democrats take stock of their grievous losses in the 2014 elections, party leaders are confronting a challenge perhaps even more daunting than their defeats in the House and Senate: the virtual wipeout of the Democratic talent pool across the country.
After the Republican waves of 2010 and 2014, the party is depleted not just in its major-league talent, but also in its triple-A recruitment prospects. It amounts to a setback, Democrats say, that will almost certainly require more than one election cycle to repair.
At the start of the 2014 campaign, Democrats envisioned an election that would produce new national stars for the party in at least a few tough states – Georgia Sen. Michelle Nunn or Kentucky Sen. Alison Lundergan Grimes, for instance, or maybe even Texas Gov. Wendy Davis. Even if the party fell short in those “reach” states, Democrats hoped to produce new heavyweight blue-state Democrats – Maryland Gov. Anthony Brown, the country’s only black state executive; or Maine Gov. Mike Michaud, who would have been the first openly gay candidate elected governor.
Any of them could have landed on a vice presidential short list in 2016.
Instead, all of them lost.
Joining them were numerous down-ballot Democrats widely viewed as future contenders for high office: attorney general candidates in Nevada and Arizona who looked like future governors; aspiring state treasurers in Ohio and Colorado who could have gone on to bigger things; prized secretary of state candidates in Iowa and Kansas as well as countless congressional hopefuls around the country.
Read more: Politico
Like Clash? Like Clash.
Please disable your Ad Blocker to leave a comment.
- WATCH: Hillary Goes POSTAL On Voters In New Advert- MOST BIZARRE VIDEO EVER!
- DEAR CNN: Man commits THE EXACT CRIME as Hillary – Guess What Happened To Him?
- WATCH: Highly ACCURATE Election Model Says Trump Will STOMP Hillary
- BREAKING: Clinton Foundation Gets HACKED – Here’s The GOODS!
- QUESTION: Would You Like To See Trump Win Just To PROVE The Media WRONG?
- LMAO: Michelle HATES Trump’s Language But Not These DISGUSTING Rappers
- WIKILEAKS: Guess Who OWNED 75,000 Shares in PUTIN Energy Company