Today is the last day of the 2014. It was an eventful year, one of good things and bad. The best, of course, being the mid-term elections and the resounding message it sent about what the American public thinks of “hope and change” and President Pen… we want our change back and to take away his pen! So where do we go from here?
As I said last year, I don’t like New Year’s resolutions. They are usually well meaning goals we set for ourselves but by and large we ignore them as soon as they become either too hard to achieve or get in our way. I don’t usually make them. If I’m going to change, it’s going to take more than a New Year’s resolution to get me to do it. So I don’t resolve to do anything on January 1. However, in the spirit of the season last year I did make a few (see them here) and I think I kept up my end of the bargain.
So, looking forward to 2015 what should conservatives be resolving? First, hold the feet of those we elected to the fire, and show those coming up for re-election in 2016 that we mean business. The mid-terms sent a message in no uncertain terms that we don’t want:
1. Blanket amnesty for those who break the law to come here. We want them sent back to they can take the time and effort those who followed the rules took to become residents and eventually citizens of our nation. Do that and we will welcome you warmly.
2. Congress to allow President Pen to get away with his illegal and unconstitutional writing of law by funding his temper tantrums. So come March, that funding you ok’d last month better either be unfunded (now that you have the Senate to back you up) or defunded if the temporary funding put in place runs out. That includes Pen’s amnesty and Obamacare. Now get to it!
3. That defunding needs to include defunding Planned Parenthood. The fact that states are passing laws to clamp down on abortion, and abortion clinics are being closed in record numbers just shows how pro-life America is becoming. The funding of that evil bunch needs to follow suit.
4. Take away Obama’s pen… NOW!
5. Don’t reverse the nuclear option that Harry Reid put in place. If you don’t know what that is, the Senate used to have to have a super majority to approve Presidential appointments – judicial appointments, Cabinet appointments, etc.. Time to use their own stupidity against them.
Now, for the GOP leadership:
1. For the love of all that is holy PUT UP CANDIDATES FOR PRESIDENT THAT ARE ACTUALLY CONSERVATIVE! That means NO JOB BUSH, NO MITT ROMNEY, NO CHRIS CHRISTIE, et al. “Electable” candidates over the last 2 elections (and a few before that) failed miserably – LEARN FROM IT! Try someone with a true conservative voting record. If a pro-life, pro-second amendment, fiscal conservative can take the governorship of Maryland away from a pro-abortion, anti-gun, tax crazy liberal then a pro-life, pro-second amendment, small government fiscal conservative can certainly take the White House!
2. Stop allowing the demonization of the majority of your base. Conservatives aren’t terrorists. Conservatives aren’t extremists. Conservatives aren’t crazies. Stop saying it. Stop supporting it with your silence. Just STOP IT!
I’ll do my part. I will keep being a voice. I won’t be silent. I encourage you to speak up as well. One person writing Congress or the Senate won’t be heard, but an onslaught of us will. Take to Facebook, Twitter, your local newspaper, wherever you can speak, SPEAK! Stand up for what you believe. Voice it! 2016 is right around the corner and what we do now will directly affect whom we get to vote for in that election. Make 2015 the year you get involved.
So, what is your resolution this New Year’s Day? Care to join me in making 2015 the year Conservatives make an even bigger difference? We have the ball, now we need to run with it.