Almost no Americans have ever, in all history, been killed by a gun. The number that have is so infinitesimally small it makes no sense to try and reduce that number to zero. Fact is, aside from extraordinary instances in which a loaded gun has experienced some sort of mechanical failure causing it to release a bullet, almost no Americans have been killed by a gun all by itself.
Sound like a ridiculous, nit-picky argument? I hope so. It’s patterned after one of the more bat-stuff crazy arguments emerging from liberals over President Trump’s immigration ban. You’ve probably seen or heard something like:
“Almost no Americans have been affected by terrorism. The number that have is so small, there is no point in Trump’s immigration ban because it won’t stop terrorism.”
Let’s unpack this a bit, shall we:
• It’s bat-stuff crazy but it isn’t the most bat-stuff crazy idea the left has come up with lately. The claim made last week that Trump plans to invade Mexico militarily is way crazier.
• “Almost no Americans have been affected by terrorism”. How cold and uncaring is that? A very “let them eat cake” argument. Some Americans have been affected by terrorism. Where’s the compassion? Why limit the topic to “Americans”? I thought the left was all about one great big borderless global village here on this blue-green gumdrop they call Gaia.
• “[T]here is no point in” …wow! The same left that demands laws and regulations on top of laws and regulations to put government in the womb, grave, and everywhere in between all the sudden wants less of it when it comes to terrorism?
And of course, the left won’t tell us how much terrorism is acceptable. Surely there must be a metric. Ford Motor Company for example, used a metric to determine how many people they were comfortable killing in the Ford Pinto versus the cost of redesigning the car’s gas tank back in the 1970s. Somewhere, the intellectual powerhouses the left loves to think of themselves as being must know how many Boston Marathons can be bombed, gay nightclubs shot up, and how many lone wolves on rampages they are comfortable with.
That brings up what is perhaps the most offensive aspect of the left’s position on Trump’s immigration ban. They are gambling with American lives when they insist the ban be overturned. There is only one thing that can wreck the left’s argument: the next terror attack on American soil.
Oh, wait. That assumes the left thinks and operates in a rational, thoughtful way. When the next terrorist attack occurs in America (it’s unfortunate to use “when” instead of “if”), the left’s response will be:
• Donald Trump, the alt-right, GOP, and conservatives caused it. The media-entertainment-political complex is poised to shovel fake news 24/7 if that’s what it takes to try and make this idea stick.
• We brought it on ourselves by not doing more to oppose Donald Trump, George W Bush, war, racism, Islamophobia, and transphobia.
• How do we know Trump didn’t stage the whole thing in order to generate support for his agenda?
All are responses that just a decade ago were confined to the lunatic fringe of the hard left, but today represent mainline liberal Democratic thinking. Based on their current trajectory, the left is only going to become weirder and more shrill in their complaints – we ain’t seen nothin’ yet!