ANTI-GLOBAL WARMING HERESY! Ted Cruz on the Hot Seat
Newly announced Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz really stepped in it on late night television last week. Yes, during an interview with Seth Meyers, Cruz made the heretical claim that satellite data clearly indicate that the earth’s temperature has been essentially flat over the last seventeen years. Oh, the horror! And I was so looking forward to Cruz’ successful candidacy. He has no chance now with this display of incomprehensible ignorance.
How can Cruz not be aware that the verdict is in on climate change? Loyal statists and their media advocates make it very clear that a “consensus” of scientists agree the planet is warming at an alarming rate. The fate of the human race is hanging in the balance. Unless capitalism is defeated and defeated soon, earth, as we know it, is headed toward chaos. You know, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!
Is it true that there is a consensus of scientific opinion about a dire trend in global temperature? Al Gore insists there is. Speaking last week at the South by Southwest technology conference in Austin, Texas, he called the alarming rise in global temperatures as a result of carbon dioxide emissions “accepted science”. He went on to claim that 99 percent of scientists are all in agreement and deniers should be well, dealt with.
I guess Al has never checked out the Global Warming Petition Project website - http://www.petitionproject.org/index.php. This site lists 31,487 American scientists that oppose the mythical global warming narrative. I believe 31,487 are a little more than one percent of all American scientists.
The home page of the site shows the petition and the signature of a particular scientist. His name is Edward Teller. You might have heard of him. He is considered the father of the hydrogen bomb and a world authority on nuclear power. I would say his scientific credibility is beyond challenge.
He has this to say about the dire threat of global warming, “There is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of carbon dioxide, methane, or other greenhouse [gases] is causing or will, in the foreseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the Earth's atmosphere and disruption of the Earth's climate." If Dr. Teller were still alive, I guess he would have to be dealt with too.
Teller also stated that science and technology could mitigate the effects the alarmists claim more effectively than onerous regulation and restriction of the free market. Wouldn’t a face-to-face debate between Gore and Teller be grand? Heck, I like to see Gore debate anyone with an average intellect.
I wonder if Al is aware that there were three periods prior to the modern era where the average global temperature was 5 degrees higher than now. Must have been monumental periods of flatulence I guess since there were no carbon belching industries back then. We do know that, at one point, Vikings raised cattle in Greenland. Can’t do that now. We know that when the Romans invaded England in 49 A.D., grapes were being grown as far north as southern Scotland. Can’t do that now either. How can this be if capitalism has made the planet hotter than it has ever been?
Another claim we hear is that, as the planet gets hotter, we will see more frequent and more intense hurricanes, tornadoes, and storms. Truth is, hurricane and tornado intensity is actually trending down.
Global Warming Alarmists (GWA’s) talk a lot about Arctic ice. As the earth warms, the Arctic is going to melt and cause our seas to rise and create coastal flooding. Well, that’s just not right. The Arctic is just one big chunk of ice floating in the ocean. If it melts completely, the oceans will not rise one inch. If you don’t believe me, let the ice melt in your next rum and Coke and see if the fluid level in your glass rises.
About 90 percent of the earth’s ice mass is in Antarctica. If this were to melt, we would all be heading to the nearest mountaintop since that ice sits on top of solid ground. The good news for Global Warming deniers is that in 2014, Antarctic ice increased to its highest level ever recorded.
The Great Lakes didn’t cooperate with the GWA’s hysterics either. Typically, the Great Lakes have about 51 percent ice coverage during winter. In 2013, the coverage was over 90 percent and 2014 shouldn’t be much different. Hmm, must have been that pesky Polar Vortex messing up the narrative.
Our government still has belched out a lot of hot air in claiming that 2014 was the hottest year on record. Note however that Gavin Schmidt, director of NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies in New York, says that there is only a 38 percent chance that 2014 was the hottest year since 1880. Therefore, there’s a 62 percent chance that it wasn’t, duh.
You have to understand that our temperature records do not go back very far. We really don’t have reasonable data earlier than the 1880’s. Our much more accurate satellite data goes back only 20 years or so. Making such alarming announcements while misrepresenting the data is an attempt to influence uninformed people.
So why do the GWA’s, statists, Marxists, progressives, Wall Street occupiers, MSNBC hosts, and actors of all sizes and shapes continue to push such an unsupported narrative? I will attempt to answer that in next week’s column.