May 12, 2014 – WASHINGTON, DC — U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, today requested unanimous consent to pass S. Res. 255, which would establish a Joint Select Committee to investigate the Benghazi attacks. He originally introduced this legislation on September 12, 2013, which currently has 25 Senate co-sponsors.
Sen. Cruz called for answers to the following ten questions:
- Why was the State Department unwilling to provide the requested level of security to Benghazi in the summer of 2012?
- Did President Obama’s daily intelligence briefings in the run-up to September 11, 2012 support the assertion that there was no credible threat of a coordinated terrorist attack on Benghazi during this time? And if so, why does the White House not declassify and release the briefings, as President George Bush did his pre-September 11, 2001 briefings?
- Why did we not anticipate the need to have military assets at the ready in the region on the anniversary of September 11, of all days?
- Did President Obama sleep the night of September 11, 2012? Did Secretary Clinton? When was President Obama told about the murder of our ambassador?
- If the secretary of defense thought there was “no question” this was a coordinated terrorist attack, why did Ambassador Susan Rice, Secretary Clinton, and President Obama all tell the American people that the cause was a “spontaneous demonstration” about an internet video?
- Why did former deputy CIA director Mike Morell edit the intelligence community talking points to delete the references to “Islamic extremists” and “al-Quaeda”?
- Why did the FBI release pictures of militants taken the day of the attack only eight months after the fact? Why not immediately, as proved so effective after the Boston bombing?
- Why was Secretary Clinton not interviewed for the ARB report? And if all relevant questions were answered in the ARB report, why did the State Department’s own inspector-general office open a probe into the methods of that very report?
- Why have none of the terrorists who attacked in Benghazi been captured or killed?
- What additional evidence that the White House engaged in a political campaign to blame the Benghazi attack on the internet video is contained in the additional emails requested by JudicialWatch but withheld by the White House on the grounds that it would put a “chill” on internal deliberations?
Read more: Sierra Sun Times