Obama signs a bill (on a Friday afternoon) which will exempt his presidential appointees from having to be approved first by the Senate. Republicans who agreed to this vote should be targeted for removal in the November elections. The law is intended to safeguard the American people from an executive branch that basically calls all the shots and Republican senators caved in for convenience.
Sponsored by Democratic Sen. Chuck Schumer and cosponsored by Republicans and Democrats, the bill, now law, weakens the power of the legislature and strengthens the executive branch, critics have warned. The bill skated through the Senate three months after being introduced in 2011 and was passed by the Republican-controlled House 261-116 in July.
The law now allows Obama and future presidents to name appointees to senior positions in every branch of the administration, from the Department of the Treasury to the Department of Homeland Security.
Conservative critics worried that the bill restricts congressional authority to monitor executive branch decisions, but the measure received bipartisan support because of the gridlocked, slow-moving Senate, which is known for being the more deliberative of the two bodies of Congress.
Whereas the House is a more populist body, the Senate grants more power to its fewer members. It only takes one senator to filibuster an appointee, forcing the majority party to find a “super majority” of 60 votes to end the filibuster and move ahead with an up-or-down vote.
Leave a Comment
We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, vulgarity, profanity, all caps, or discourteous behavior. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain a courteous and useful public environment where we can engage in reasonable discourse.
Trending Now on Clash Daily
- Watch: LeBron Hates Assault Weapons – Except When He’s Shooting Them
- LMAO! This Pretty Girl’s ‘Christian’ T-Shirt Is Hilarious & True – Would You Wear It?
- Chris Rock: ‘I Want An Equal Amount Of White Kids Shot Every Month’
- Another ‘Dreamer’ Kills An American – This Time It’s A Texas Hero
- Sen. Kamala Harris(D) Says, ‘We Cannot Tolerate A Society’ Where ‘Our Babies Are Being Slaughtered’
- Clash Poll: Should The FBI Protect Kids Like They Protect The Clintons?
- LMAO! LeBron James, ‘I Mean Too Much to Society To Not Share My Political Views’