Against incredible odds, Pastor Kent Hovind has won in Federal Court. In my mind, this was the biggest upset since David stoned Goliath. My sources tell me that citizen victory in Federal Court is exceedingly rare. One court observer even stated that it was the first time in 9 years that someone beat the government in the court of Pensacola. I don’t know about you, but I think something is terribly wrong with that. The government always winning is not justice.
Read what Forbes Magazine reported regarding the stunning victory.
I have been intimately and actively involved with the effort to free Kent from prison, and I rejoiced when I got word that the government had dropped all charges against him. Playing a part in helping to set an innocent man free was one of the most important and fulfilling things I have ever done in my life. But being up close and watching the dynamics of this saga unfold, I learned 5 highly valuable lessons that I would like to share:
1. Christians are the worst at eating their own. Kent Hovind spent 20 years visiting churches and sharing the Gospel as he proved Biblical Creation to be true. When he got in trouble with the government—initially the IRS—pastors and churches abandoned him and headed for the high grass. They didn’t want to be associated with a “tax-cheat” even though that was not what he was charged with. He spent 8.5 years in jail and those same pastors who had him speak from their pulpits would not defend him and help him regain his freedom. The dynamic duo of the Federal judge and the prosecutor sought to keep him in jail for the rest of his life, and even the “public defender” cooperated with his boss’s (judge) orders. Most of Kent’s “pastor” friends sat quietly and approvingly on the sidelines; some actually rooting for the government. They’ll show more grace to sodomites than they do one of their persecuted friends.
The amazing brief produced by www.lawandfreedom.com with the aid of the www.USJF.net had the same impact on the court that the atom bomb had on Hiroshima. In less than 48 hours after the motion to dismiss had been filed, the entire case was dismissed. After nearly a year of harassment and false accusations against Pastor Hovind the Federal Prosecutor and Judge Margaret Casey Rodgers were forced to admit that what Pastor Hovind had been charged with was not a crime. Yes, you read that right. They were attempting to put him in jail for the rest of his life for something that was not a crime.
Even today I keep hearing from “Christians” who believe that Pastor Kent was guilty and was only getting “what he deserved.” And although it has been proven that he did nothing wrong, many “Christians” still want to see him punished.
Let’s say, for the sake of argument, that Kent was guilty of the “structuring” charges. Let’s also say he was a “tax-cheat.” Pastor Hovind has spent nearly 8.5 years in jail. Is there no grace available for him from his Christian brothers? Aren’t we all, thanks to Jesus, glad that we don’t “get what we deserve?”
2. Jurors Have a Great Responsibility and Possess Remarkable Power. Interviews with some of the jurors after the first trial revealed some very interesting information. It seems the initial vote was 6-6. The second vote was 10-2 to convict. The final vote was 11-1 to convict. One juror held out claiming that what Kent had done was not illegal. He would not relent, causing the jury to be ‘hung.” If he had given in, Pastor Hovind would have been sentenced to 20 additional years in prison…for mailing a legal document. His life would have been effectively over. Eleven jurors, the Federal Prosecutor and her team, the IRS court representative, and his own “public pretender” all thought Kent was guilty.
But one man said no. He stood his ground. Pastor Hovind almost spent the rest of his life in prison for something that isn’t even a crime. I wonder how often this happens to other defendants in the Federal court system.
3. Disobedience to Government Isn’t Necessarily Sin. Christians are taught today that to disobey the government is a “sin” and violates the teachings of the Apostle Paul found in Romans 13. This false teaching has put us in the position we are in today. Paul wrote 2/3 of the New Testament…most of it from jail. For a man who instructed us to “obey the authorities” he sure spent a lot of time disobeying his own instructions. “Obey God rather than men” is the true teaching of the Bible. The entire New Testament is filled with stories of men and women who stood up against “ungodly” edicts and authorities. What if the church had refused to permit prayer to be removed from the schools…or the Bible to be banned from education…or stood up in resistance to the slaughter of the unborn? WWJD? He already showed us HE would do.
People tell me that Jesus didn’t try to fight the government and we shouldn’t either. They show a great misunderstanding of the Scriptures. Jesus did not fight against the Romans because, as He told Pilate, “you have no power over me unless it had been given to you from on High.” But Jesus was a headache for the “religious leaders” of His day. The Pharisees went to Pilate because they said that “they had no power to put a man to death.” All Jews were under the authority of the religious leaders, not the Roman government. Jesus called them unflattering names and raised a rebellion against that evil religious system. He refused to “follow” them and the religious system foisted upon them by the religious thugs. Christianity, as well as America, was birthed out of righteous rebellion.
4. All “Nobodys” are Potential “Somebodys.” Kent Hovind is free today because of the efforts of “lay” Christians. The efforts of Rudy Davis, Racer X, Ernie Land and other “nobodies” won Pastor Hovind his freedom. Most Pastors and national religious leaders refused to get involved. They’re afraid of the government to whom they have yielded God’s authority. They have very little faith that God can or will still move today. They preach a message of fatalism that has stolen the precious faith from the hearts of the saints. But the Moms and Pops all over this nation partnered together to appeal to heaven for a miracle on Kent’s behalf. God honored and answered the prayers of His people. Most of our Christian leaders only seek the help of the Republicans.
One woman filed with the spirit of the anti-Christ, Madalyn Murray, removed the influence of God from the minds of America’s children. How could this happen? Perhaps a better question to ask is how have Christians become so powerless against the forces of darkness? If one devil-filled woman could move the direction of a nation what could millions of people filled with the Holy spirit of God do against the evil spirits in high places? But we won’t fight. We’ve become convinced that we can’t win. We are convinced that God has given up on America. We won’t admit it, but we really believe the devil has won; that the forces of darkness are stronger than the children of the light. The sad reality is that we’ve lost because we have not fought. Our hope, courage, and faith, has been stolen from us by a defeatist, fatalistic, powerless Gospel spewing forth from America’s lukewarm pulpits.
5. The Salt and Light Brigade is making a difference. We used targeted prayer, targeted phone calls, and a clear targeted strategy to fight the forces of darkness. Our prayers weren’t scattered and directionless. Everyone prayed upon the same target, at the same time, for the same result. I am convinced that this “shock and awe” campaign was the death blow to the prosecution and their minions in the judicial system. This is the formula that we are going to employ all across this nation! Why don’t you join the Brigade and become part of a living, breathing organism that will shake the very foundations of this nation?
The reason there is no power in America is because there is no power in the church. There is disobedience in the world because there is disobedience in the church. There is a lack of faith in the world because there is a lack of faith in the church. The President is powerful because the pulpit is impotent. America is off course because the church has lost its sense of direction. As goes the church, so goes the nation.
However, all is not lost. God is not the one who’s dead—only His followers are. It’s time to wake up. Stop following the blind guides.
Image: http://lewismct.wikispaces.com/Voc2+4B?responseToken= 00ad9a42ad4656e8f83b29076495de8b3