This is what happens when you mix stupidity, fireworks, alcohol, and poor decisions.
A man celebrating the Fourth of July died when he tried to launch a firework off the top of his head, Maine State Police say.
Twenty-two-year-old Devon Staples of Calais had been setting off fireworks with friends on Saturday night in the backyard of a friend’s home, according to Stephen McCausland, a spokesman for the Maine Department of Public Safety.
He says Staples placed a fireworks mortar tube on his head and set it off, injuring his head. He died instantly.
Police say the friends had been drinking.
The New York Daily News spoke with Devon’s brother Cody Staples who was standing just five feet away from his brother when the firework went off.
While police maintain that Devon was trying to launch the firework off of his head, his brother describes the incident as ‘a freak accident.’
Read more: Daily Mail