Barbara Dawson shouldn’t have lost her life. Period. The poor decisions made by Liberty Calhoun Hospital in Blountstown, Florida are inexcusable. She asked for additional medical care and instead was put in the back of a police car and denied use of her oxygen tank. Shortly after that, tragically, she died. Barbara Dawson did nothing wrong.
The exploitation of her final hours is wrong on multiple levels:
Is America headed for a recession?
– Big-grievance and the fat cats that run it – people like Jesse Jackson and the Sainted Al of Sharpton – will hoist Dawson up as an example of racism, sexism, cissism, ableism, and whatever other isms are fashionable and financially lucrative.
– BlackLivesMatter will latch on to the bandwagon along with the safe zone generation at America’s universities who mistakenly think that a degree in Ethnic Studies is the fast-track ticket to a six-figure income.
– Most egregious, the previous two items will ignore that failure of Obamacare in this case.
Despite what leftist commentators – Doogie Howser lookalike Rachel Maddow comes to mind – say, and what their followers jabber on and on about in blogs as if they have any clue at all about what’s going on, Obamacare is a failure inside and out:
– It was supposed to provide health coverage for ALL Americans and especially those that lacked health insurance coverage.
– It was supposed to reduce premiums by around $2500 per year for American families. (Consumers in many states, in particular Oregon, Minnesota, Illinois, and Maryland*, are soon to see the cost of their plans skyrocket).
– Those with health insurance would be allowed to keep their plans.
– It was acknowledged as a tax until the administration figured out that they needed to call it a fee instead of a tax in order to keep Obamacare viable.
Never forget that the whole thing, in the words of Obama pal Jonathan Gruber, the administration relied on “the stupidity of the American voter”. (What else have Obama insiders discussed in terms of “the stupidity of the American voter”).
As tempting as it is to discuss collapsing state health-care exchanges**, failed roll out of Obamacare websites, the hits Americans have taken and will on their premiums* and the impact of fines for those that lack insurance, more important is the singular way in which this law failed Barbara Dawson:
– Barbara Dawson was denied life-saving medical care. That’s right. A law that will cost Americans at least $1.207 trillion over the next ten years couldn’t help a middle-aged black woman who needed it.
This ought to be the focus of the grievance industry but it won’t be. There’s a lot of money to be made stirring up outrage using a narrative that dates back more than half a century. Not to mention, Hillary Clinton is running for President and she loves Obamacare and the grievance industry.
*Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota reported a $135 million lost for last year. Exchanges in Maryland require premiums to increase by 34%, those in Illinois require a 29% increase. (Source: Forbes).
** According to the Washington Post, eight of 23 exchanges will close by or during 2016. States with at risk exchanges include Arizona, Colorado, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Nevada, New York, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Utah.