Very few folks would disagree that this is one of the craziest elections ever! An honest person would admit that both major candidates are questionable to say the least. I understand completely how this election can make any of us scared for the future of America. I look at the candidates that were available in the primaries and it truly saddens me when I see what we are left with to choose from now. This truly doesn’t say much about the condition of our country if we take an honest look and admit that we elect our representatives.
I truly believe that it is exceedingly important to cast a vote in this election to be counted and voice your opinion. Voting is the only way you will get counted. Get as informed as you can and go to the polls even though the temptation to “sit this one out” is unprecedented. The best voting advice I heard so far was simple: Vote your conscience. Vote in a way that will assure you will sleep easy after your vote is in. Silence the voices around you and think for yourself. Please read until the end.
A wise man once told me: When you have to make a tough decision, think about the things you absolutely know for certain and make the decision accordingly. These are some things I know for certain, if you don’t know them or disagree, simply think your decision through based on what you know for certain at this time. Time to vote is almost here and there are some important things to consider:
• We live in a republic. Our vote should represent our values. A vote for one candidate does not take away a vote from the other in this system. For example, if Trump gets 10 votes and Hillary gets 10 votes, and another person gets one vote, both Trump and Hillary still have 10 votes. That is how a republic works. That takes care of the argument that is driving folks insane. For example, if you don’t vote for Trump, you haven’t given your vote to Hillary. Phew!
• God really is in control. I am growing wearing of professing Christians that believe we have to vote Trump to prove our faith in God. How does that prove faith in God? Why couldn’t I vote for Hillary then? Makes no sense. It’s perfectly illogical.
• Man’s opinions change like the wind! I heard both that it’s moral and immoral to vote for Donald Trump by professing Christians. God is unchanging. Men really can’t be completely trusted, obviously!
• The Bible truly is the Word of God despite popular opinion. We can laugh it off if we wish, but truth is truth whether we believe it or not. Our Creator expects us to obey it.
• This verse is about all we need to know to guide our voting choices. “Moreover you shall select from all the people able men, such as fear God, men of truth, hating covetousness; and place such over them to be rulers of thousands, rulers of hundreds, rulers of fifties, and rulers of tens.” Exodus 18:21. Please take note that this verse doesn’t say that we should “hope” our leaders will fear God eventually. I am well aware that God can and has used evil leaders to bring about His Will. He will judge us, no doubt, but we are voting now and the verse is quite clear. Have some faith, right?
• Our country was founded on Judeo Christian Principles. Our president should be well acquainted with these and know the Constitution well.
• God would not expect us to violate our conscience to cast a vote for any reason. Our conscience is our God-given guide! We can deaden or defile our conscience for sure and I am quite afraid that this is exactly what is happening in this election. “To the pure all things are pure, but to those who are defiled and unbelieving nothing is pure; but even their mind and conscience are defiled.” Titus 1:15
• Our founders knew there would be times like this, that’s why they drafted the Constitution and set up the government the way they did. They came from a tyrannical government and we are now creating one again! Answers are there if we seek them. The way back is well thought out and written down for our guidance, if only we’d believe it.
• God’s Will is going to play itself out despite us, so think for yourself, and vote honestly.
I truly hope this is helpful and comforting to some of you at least. About this Trump Train I am told to get on. I am not in the habit of getting on trains when I don’t know where they are heading. What if it is heading to the wrong stop? Trump still has until November, but I have to be honest, I think his train is on the wrong tracks. For now, I’ll just follow my conscience and “Cruz” on down a different track.