The University of Cincinnati is offering a white fragility course. The class will apparently instruct students how to navigate the delicate discomposure displayed by white folks who are uncomfortable when confronted with their white privilege.
We wonder if the instructors will venture into the hidden shadows of black-on-white crime where the fragility of the privileged majority is often manifested in physical violence.
Here are a few examples.
• The teenage son of a white woman in South Africa was inconsolable; his voice incoherent. The boy returned from school to find his mother lifeless on the floor in his young sister’s bedroom. He called his father who, unable to fully grasp the severity of the situation, rushed home assuming his 44-year-old wife has succumbed to a heart attack.
Instead, he discovered Tanya Wiers naked on the floor, her eyes gouged out, and 21 stab wounds puncturing her body.
Arrested for the crime was a 25-year-old black male: Frans Maela.
The victim was white; fragile indeed. White South Africans, by the way, are not a majority.
• The life of Barbara Lynn Grubb, 35, came to an end in Wildwood, Florida. The woman’s remains were discovered discarded on the side of a county road. Reports suggest the white woman had been beaten to death. She suffered upper body trauma due, we suppose, to her white fragility.
An arrest warrant was issued for Terrance Kwamaine Williams, a 21-year-old black male.
• Raymond Burnett was 65-year-old when he was fatally stabbed in 2014. The crime occurred in Mayfield, Kentucky.
Christopher Dickson entered a plea of guilty but mentally ill. Apparently he attacked the fragile elderly white man on a neighbor’s lawn where he collapsed and died from the stab wounds. Dickson is black.
• Frank Gaines Whitington was fatally shot in 2015. The 18-year-old victim graduated from Memphis University School two weeks prior to his death. He was gunned down in the parking lot of an apartment complex.
Andrae Tewari, a black male, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder earlier this year and was sentenced to 20 years.
The killer is black. His “fragile” victim was white.
• Stephen Scyffore, 26, was sentenced to life in prison without parole. Scyffore killed Leslie Griffin, a 31-year-old homeless woman, in 2014. The crime occurred in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
The killer boasted to a friend that he “smoked” the woman after the gunshot was heard that ended her life. Griffin was white. Scyffore is black.
• Earlier we wrote of Reagan Tokes, the 21-year-old white woman who was executed with a bullet to the head. Reports say Tokes was kidnapped, raped, and summarily executed. She did not know her attacker.
Brian Lee Golsby, 29, was arrested and charged with aggravated murder, aggravated kidnapping and aggravated robbery, according to myfox28columbus.com.
Golsby, a black male, had been incarcerated after raping a woman in front of her two-year-old child. Reports say he was released in November and is a registered sex offender.
The fragile life of Reagan Tokes will likely be ignored at the University of Cincinnati seminar.
The murder occurred in Grove City, Ohio. The victim was a student at Ohio State University.
• Jury selection has begun for a trial stemming from the senseless murder of 24-year-old Christopher Guilbeau. The fragile remains of Guilbeau was found abandoned in an ally in Texarkana, Texas in 2015.
Marquell Deonte Smith, 22, is one of three blacks charged with the crime. Guilbeau was white.
Arrests were made after police flagged the victim’s truck as being stolen. Apparently the theft was the motive for the murder.
• Jack Garcia, a fragile 9-year-old white boy, died in June 2015. He was beaten to death by a 32-year-old black male after the boy ate a piece of cake the man was saving for his 2-year-old daughter.
Apparently the victim’s mother, Oriana Iris Garcia, had met Robert Leroy Wilson online and moved in with him. She was convicted of the murder because she did not attempt to intervene after her young son was handcuffed to a chair and beaten.
Wilson is serving a 30-year sentence for the crime. The victim’s mother entered a guilty plea and also faces a 30-year-sentence.
The crime occurred in Maryland.
photo credit: Alexey Kljatov (ChaoticMind75) Stellar dendrite – 19 March 2013 (explore November 5, 2016) via photopin (license)