This High School Teacher Is In Trouble Over The Anti-Gun Walkout — Here’s The 411

The administration should applaud this teacher for using a ‘teachable moment’ to get her students to think critically.

Isn’t that what it is — a ‘teachable moment’ — when they discuss gender identity, systemic racism, access to abortion, the gender wage gap, and other progressive idols instead of reading, writing, and arithmetic?

One high school teacher has been reprimanded for a discussion that she had with students prior to the National Walkout Day.

Julianne Benzel discussed the politics behind organized protests with her students prior to the day of the walkout. Mrs. Benzel teaches history at Rocklin High School in California.

Trending: Michelle Does A Pout Pose In A Robe For The Camera – Do You Miss Her6

She has now been placed on administrative leave.

She says it was only appropriate to talk to her class about the politics of organized protests, ahead of the school walkout.
But she says the school disagreed with her views and told her to stay home Wednesday morning.

“We had a dialogue in class about it in Thursday and Friday. And today I received the call. So I am aghast,” said Julianne Benzel.

Benzel says she never discouraged her students from participating in the national school walk out, but she did question whether it’s appropriate for a school to support a protest against gun violence if they’re not willing to support all protests.

As one example, Mrs. Benzel used a pro-life walkout as an example and questioned whether the school would be so quick to support the protest.

“And so I just kind of used the example which I know it’s really controversial, but I know it was the best example I thought of at the time—a group of students nationwide, or even locally, decided ‘I want to walk out of school for 17 minutes’ and go in the quad area and protest abortion, would that be allowed by our administration?” she said.

She says the administration didn’t talk to her about her lecture, last week.

But while thousands of students walked out of class, Mrs. Benzel received a letter from her human resources department, informing her she’s being placed on paid administrative leave.

I didn’t get any backlash from my students. All my students totally understood that there could not be a double standard,” she said.
Source: CBS 13 Sacramento

Watch her interview with CBS 13:

Matt Walsh at the Daily Wire has called for just that to prove that schools are not politicizing the issues and are willing to support all student voices.

Let the schools prove that they really are so happy and proud to see kids taking a stand and getting involved in the issues. Let’s have pro-life students use their voices to speak out for the kids who truly cannot speak for themselves, and let’s force the schools to play host to this demonstration just as they did so willingly for the anti-gun crowd.

Perhaps the students can walkout for 3000 seconds — one second for every baby killed by abortion in a single day. Just a suggestion.
Source: Daily Wire

If it ‘just saves one life’, amirite?

Back to the issue of Mrs. Benzel…

The claim is that there were ‘complaints’ by students and parents.

Mrs. Benzel says that she didn’t hear of any, and no evidence of complaint has been given to her.

This is now a common tactic in academia — to cite ‘complaints’ without providing proof of any.

Consider what happened to a Canadian university student that was a Teacher’s Assistant when she played a 5-minute video clip of a discussion between Dr. Jordan B. Peterson and Nicholas Matte discussing the use of gender-neutral pronouns. The class was called ‘Canadian Communication in Context’ and the clip was from a show on the Canadian version of PBS — a publicly-funded television station called TVO.

The discussion was a timely one as the Canadian government had just passed legislation regarding the use of gender-neutral pronouns. Lindsay Shepherd, the T.A., was harassed by a panel at Wilfrid Laurier University. Fortunately, Shepherd recorded the entire meeting on her laptop and release the audio. (There is a great op-ed on the Lindsay Shepherd case and free speech on campus in general here.)

Initially, it was said a student complaint about the class prompted the meeting but [University President Deborah] MacLatchy said Monday that was not the case.

“There were numerous errors in judgement made in the handling of the meeting with Ms. Lindsay Shepherd, the TA of the tutorial in question,” MacLatchy said in the statement. “In fact, the meeting never should have happened at all. No formal complaint, nor informal concern relative to a Laurier policy, was registered about the screening of the video.
Source: Huffington Post

In the Shepherd case, the progressives on staff just didn’t like what Dr. Jordan Peterson on a video had to say and decided to punish Lindsay Shepherd for daring to show it to her class. (By the way, Shepherd initially said that she didn’t agree with Peterson and was showing the video ‘neutrally’. She has since been supported and encouraged by Dr. Peterson and they remain in contact.)

Do you think it’s any different in Mrs. Benzel’s case?

Maybe it is, maybe it isn’t.

Because definitive complaints with names haven’t been released, it’s probably a good thing that Mrs. Benzel has retained an attorney.

Does your grandpa go off on paltry politicians, whether they be Democrats or Republicans? Does he get misty eyed when he talks about God and Country and America’s future? And have you ever heard him scream, ‘Awww … Hell no!’ when Rosie O’Donnell starts yapping on television? If you answered yes to one, or all of the above, then your gramps will love Doug Giles’ latest book, My Grandpa Is A Patriotic Badass.

Don’t be fooled by the title — this ain’t just for Grandpa.
The Snowflake Generation — and the rest of America — needs a good ol’ dose of ‘Grandpa wisdom’.
Especially if that Grandpa is Doug Giles.
You’ll love My Grandpa Is A Patriotic Badass just as much as Grandpa will.

Here’s a shirt for real men (and women, too):

Why be average? It’s so overrated.

Everyone does that.

You need to Do Epic Sh-t.

Like Clash? Like Clash.

ClashDaily's Associate Editor since August 2016. Self-described political junkie, anti-feminist, and a nightmare to the 'intersectional' crowd. Mrs. Walker has taken a stand against 'white privilege' education in public schools. She's also an amateur Playwright, occasional Drama teacher, and staunch defender of the Oxford comma. Follow her humble musings on Twitter: @TheMrsKnowItAll

Join the conversation!

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please hover over that comment, click the ∨ icon, and mark it as spam. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.