The Bible, in Hosea 8:7 says, “They sow the wind shall reap the whirlwind.” The Democrats in Congress and the media should listen to this 8th-century prophet who spoke to Israel.
Majority Whip James Clyburn (D-SC) told his caucus members that the coronavirus relief bill was “a tremendous opportunity to restructure things to fit our vision.”
The Democrats and their allies in the media have jumped on board to follow the advice of former Chicago mayor Rahm Emmanuel to “never let a serious crisis go to waste.” Senate minority leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) said on March 22nd on CNN that, with respect to the Senate relief bill, he was delighted to see that Republicans had been engaging in “a great deal of bipartisan compromise over the weekend.” After being asked if it might wrap up on Monday, he added, “Well, I hope it is.”
That exchange took place, though, before House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) came back to Washington. Clearly, she was not happy with her Senate colleagues and put a stop to the bill that would have helped all Americans. Instead, she wrote her own bill, 119 pages stuffed with a liberal wish list and fulfilling Rep. Clyburn’s pathetic prophecy.
Here’s what the Democrats want instead of helping the American people. According to James Robbins in a USA Today piece…
- It provides $35,000,000 for “operations and maintenance” of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts; $36,000,000 for the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences; and $7,000,000 for one charter school located in Washington, D.C.
- It imposes racial and gender pay equity provisions, diversity on corporate boards, increased use of minority-owned banks by federal offices, and a host of other diversity-themed requirements.
- It increases the collective bargaining power for unions and cancels all the debt owed by the U.S. Postal Service to the U.S. Treasury.
- There are increased fuel emission standards and required carbon offsets for airlines, plus tax credits for alternative energy programs. Think “Green New Deal.”
- There is a provision for student loan payment deferment, and for colleges and universities, a $9.5 billion subsidy.
- It gives $100 million to juvenile justice programs and suspends various aspects of enforcement of immigration laws.
How does any of this relate to the coronavirus pandemic? How is this an attempt at a bi-partisan approach to helping Americans? The answer is clear. It isn’t. The Democrats don’t care about that. They are more concerned with making this, like everything else, political. They hate President Trump and rather than work with him to help people, they will let Americans suffer.
Perhaps by the time you read this, a compromise will have been reached. I hope so. The American people need government to work for them and not against them. However, the American people should not forget what the Democrats did in this time of crisis. They choose to try to score political points at the expense of the American people. In November when this is all behind us, that must not be forgotten.
The media, too, is hyping an agenda during this crisis that they think is more important than the American people. The mainstream media has attempted to attack and smear President Trump since the crisis began. They have been on a mission to destroy him since before the inauguration in 2016. The coronavirus crisis is, to them, another opportunity to bring down the president.
Here are a couple of recent examples of the attacks and lies…
- Trump called the coronavirus a hoax. On March 22nd Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) repeated the lie that Trump called the virus a hoax and CNN’s Jake Tapper knew it, but he didn’t confront her.
- The networks should stop airing the daily pressers the president and his team have to keep Americans informed. This attack started with MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow and has continued to Morning Joe host, Joe Scarborough. These two claim to be concerned about the health of the American people, but it seems more likely to me that they have their eye on the rising poll numbers of people supporting President Trump and his team’s handling of the crisis. That just won’t do for the media who hates the president and all who support him.
I’m convinced that most Americans, though, are on to the media’s game. I am convinced that the truth will win out. Until then, let’s continue to listen to our leaders, pray for each other and show that we care. The Democrats and the media, despite their lies, games, and fury, cannot extinguish the American spirit.