John Lewis, a Democratic Congressman from Georgia, passed away a few days ago. He had served in the House of Representatives since 1987, as well as being a member of the Congressional Progressive Caucus and Congressional Black Caucus.
The media has highlighted his involvement with the Civil Rights Movement, of which he became involved with the Freedom Riders and the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC). But they are unlikely to inform you of Lewis’s ties to communists and other radicals, so I will provide you with a list of some of his activities:
- From 1962-1964, Lewis was vice-chairman of the Communist Party USA’s front group National Committee to Abolish the House on Un-American Activities Committee, as well as serving as the vice-chairman of the group’s successor the National Committee Against Repressive Legislation.
- In 1969, Lewis became involved the GI Civil Liberties Defense Committee, an anti-military organization under the control of the Socialist Workers Party.
- In 1989, Lewis helped establish the Institute for Southern Studies, which was based on the Institute for Policy Studies, which is America’s oldest left-wing think thank and is devoted to supporting communist and anti-American causes throughout the world.
- In March 1995, Lewis compared the Contract With America (developed by Republicans in Congress) to the Nazi Party’s takeover of Germany by paraphrasing Martin Niemoller’s poem “First they came” by stating the following: “Read the Republican contract. They are coming for the children. They are coming for the poor. They are coming for the sick, the elderly, the disabled.”
- Lewis would continue to demonstrate his contempt for Republicans and conservatives on several occasions. He boycotted the inaugurations of George W. Bush in 2001 and Donald J. Trump in 2017. In October 2008 he accused John McCain and Sarah Palin of promoting racism against Barack Obama. In March 2010, he falsely accused Tea Party activists of shouting racial slurs at him and his fellow Congressional Progressive Caucus members. At the Democratic National Convention in September 2012, he accused Republicans of wanting to bring back segregation in America. In January 2016, he said that Trump reminded him of the racist governors and police officers of the Jim Crow South. Lewis also claimed that Trump was elected due to Russian interference, and hence was a puppet of the Russians.
- Lewis supported the DREAM Act, Path to Citizenship, and Open Borders. In July 2019, along with Congresswoman Rashida Tlaib, he sponsored a House Resolution supporting the Boycott and Divestment Movement Against Israel.
Thus, another left-wing activist/career politician has kicked the bucket.