New Yorkers are now at the ‘mugged by reality’ stage of the political process.
They have supported ever-increasingly Leftist policies and spending priorities.
They have bought into anti-policing narratives.
They are paying a price for key pandemic decisions (with Cuomo’s signature on them) that left nursing homes stacking corpses like cordwood.
Now the bill has come due. And people that can skip town without paying it are doing exactly that.
With so many holes blown through New York’s budget long before COVID, this turn of events is nothing less than catastrophic.
And this has been a dress rehearsal for everything Bernie, AOC, Biden & Co. want to do on a national scale with their ‘eat the rich’ tax-the-hell-out-of-everyone vision of the future.
Cuomo is now in full Panic Mode, struggling with Damage Control:
“I literally talk to people all day long who are now in their Hamptons house who also lived here, or in their Hudson Valley house, or in their Connecticut weekend house, and I say, ‘You got to come back! We’ll go to dinner! I’ll buy you a drink! Come over, I’ll cook!’” Cuomo said at a press conference late Monday.
“They’re not coming back right now,” Cuomo added. “And you know what else they’re thinking? ‘If I stay there, I pay a lower income tax’ because they don’t pay the New York City surcharge.”
“Our population, 1 percent of the population pays 50 percent of the taxes,” Cuomo said. –DailyWire
Awww. It looks like the old ‘Love Gov’ has royally effed up.
Between his decisions and those of De Blasio the once-proud city has been circling the toilet.
COVID Shutdown Consequences
– New York has the one of the highest fatality rates for COVID cases
– Pandemic closures normalized remote worksites
– Corporations are rethinking the relevance of Downtown office towers
– Many businesses have closed their doors forever
Law and Order Consequences
– The evening news featured unchecked burning and looting downtown
– Police are being demonized and downsized
– Murder rate is soaring
– NYC’s crime waves have begun to resemble the bad old days that ‘Joker’ was modeled after
– Companies have shut down
– Wealthiest people have relocated beyond the reach of New York’s tax code
– Less interest in filling corporate offices will translate to a rising vacancy rate
– apartments are being rented out as offices for wealthy New Yorkers
Hate to break it to you ‘Love Gov’…
You’ve made your bed. Now you need to lay in it.
Hopefully, voters will wake up and pay attention to the straight-line cause-and-effect relationship between political decisions and human response to it.