There is a scene from the movie Casino in which Sam “Ace” Rothstein (portrayed by Robert De Niro and based on real-life gambler Frank Rosenthal) is denied his gaming license during what would be a routine hearing. Rothstein responds to the abrupt denial of his license (since he was told he would have a fair hearing) by accusing the members of the commission of corruption and hypocrisy, even going so far as to say that they think they have the right to pass judgment on others.
The same can be said about various politicians, who require citizens to wear masks or are forbidding them from traveling due to the pandemic, but don’t bother to wear masks themselves.
Here are some examples:
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has called for mandating everyone in the country to wear a mask, and has even ordered that any member of the House of Representatives not wearing a mask to be forcibly removed. Yet at least twice she was seen not wearing a mask herself — the first instance being when she met with George Floyd’s brother and the second instance being her visit to a salon in California that was supposed to be closed.
- New York Governor Andrew Cuomo has criticized others for not wearing masks but was seen not wearing one while he signed an anti-police bill (nor was anyone standing near him wearing a mask when he signed it).
- Washington, D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser has ordered everyone in that city to wear a mask outside their homes, e.g. riding a bus, ordering food at a restaurant, sitting in their cubicles at work. The exceptions to the mandate are children under the age of three and federal employees. She even sent investigators to the Trump International Hotel because President Trump was not wearing a mask. Yet she was seen not wearing a mask at various press conferences and at a George Floyd rally.
- Oregon Governor Kate Brown has mandated that everyone in the Beaver State wear a mask, but she, along with her family and security detail, were all spotted without masks.
- Senator Diane Feinstein wanted the FAA to require all travelers and airport personnel to wear masks, yet she was spotted at airport without one.
- Virginia Governor Ralph Northam ordered everyone in that state to wear a mask, but he was once spotted at the beach not wearing one.
- Illinois Governor J.B. Pritzker has told the residents of that state to stay home in order to prevent spreading the coronavirus while he and his family travel to their properties in Florida and Wisconsin (the latter having construction done by workers from Chicago).
- Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer has banned almost everything in that state, but her husband was allowed to use a boat for Memorial Day activities.
- Jim Acosta and Kaitlan Collins of CNN complain about President Trump not wearing a mask, yet they don’t bother to wear one.
- A reporter for MSNBC once complained about people not wearing masks, despite the fact that half of his crew (including the cameraman) weren’t wearing masks.
Just like the politicians in the movie Casino, such individuals are hypocrites who think they have the right to pass judgment on others.