On Sunday, December 20, ABC will be broadcasting the Sound of Music, the Julie Andrews musical about the Von Trapp family. In recent years, ABC has chosen to air this film in December.
The Sound of Music is not a Christmas movie, but ABC airs the movie in December on the grounds that is a family-oriented film, and families tend to gather together in December. However, given the pandemic and any possible restrictions imposed by the authorities, there is a chance that there might be a decrease in family gatherings this Christmas (I will discuss this issue in my article next week).
But one thing I have noticed about this movie is the song My Favorite Things, in particular the verse about “when the dog bites” and “when the bee stings,” and how thinking of one’s favorite things will take one’s mind off of the pain.
Thinking of one’s favorite things might be helpful in dealing with the pain, but there are some factors that one should take into account when it comes to being bitten by a dog or stung by a bee, which are as follows:
- What if the dog has rabies, in which the result of being bitten can be death or a series of painful rabies shots?
- What if the dog happens to be an attack dog (e.g. a pit bull or Doberman Pinscher) which has a reputation for inflicting serious injuries and even fatalities upon humans? And keep in mind various other breeds of dogs are also capable of inflicting serious injuries or death upon humans.
- What if the dog attack results in a serious infection other than rabies?
- Suppose it was a pack of dogs that wind up attacking a human?
- What if the person who was stung by a bee is allergic to bee stings? I should point out that some people are also allergic to being stung by wasps or hornets.
- Suppose someone was attacked by a swarm of bees instead of just one bee?
- What if it was a swarm of killer bees that attacks someone? Keep in mind killer bees are the result of African honeybees (which are notoriously aggressive) escaping from a facility in South America and migrated north, and apparently having an impact on beekeeping in some places.
I am fairly certain that if someone was the victim of any of these circumstances, then he or she would not be thinking of his or her favorite things.