There are those who say that 2020 is the worst year in the history of the world.
However there have been worse years over the course of history, which are as follows:
- A.D. 410: the Visigoths led by Alaric sacked Rome, which contributed to the fall of the Roman Empire (which took place in A.D. 476).
- 1347: the Black Death arrived in Sicily, and would spread throughout the rest of Europe, killing as much as half the population of that continent.
- 1378: due to the bullheaded manner of Pope Urban VI (who had been elected Pope due to the Roman citizens pressuring the papal conclave to elect an Italian who would keep the Papacy in Rome after it had been in Avignon, France for nearly 70 years), the papal conclave elected Cardinal
Robert of Geneva (a cousin of King Charles V of France) as pope. He then took the name Clement VII, thus setting off the Great Schism in the West.
- This schism was eventually settled in 1417 with the Council of Constance, which introduced reforms within the church and elected the Roman cardinal Colonna as pope, who took the name Martin V.
- 1453: Constantinople (the capital of the Byzantine Empire) fell to the Ottoman Empire, just as the Hundred Years’ War between England and France was ending.
- 1666: the Great Fire of London took place, destroying 13,200 houses, 87 churches, St. Paul’s Cathedral, and most of the city government buildings.
- 1848: revolutions break out in France, Austria, and Prussia. That same year, the Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels was published. All of these events would contribute to the spread of radical politics throughout Europe (and eventually the world).
- 1877: a nationwide railroad strike occurs in the United States, resulting in
violence throughout many cities.
- 1918: in the last days of World War I, an influenza pandemic breaks out,
killing millions worldwide.
- 1929: the Stock Market crashes, setting off the Great Depression.
- 1940: a year after the World War II began, the Germans overrun Denmark, Norway, the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, and France. As a result, Britain stood alone against Nazi Germany, Fascist Italy, Imperial Japan, and Soviet Russia.
- 1949: China falls to the communists, and the Soviets successfully tested
their own atomic bomb.
- 1968: the North Vietnamese and the Viet Cong launch the Tet Offensive. Although the communists are defeated on the battlefront, the media views the war as a failure. That same year, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and Robert Kennedy are assassinated.
- 1979: the Islamic Revolution took place in Iran with the Ayatollah Khomeini becoming Supreme Leader. That same year, the American Embassy in Iran is overrun by Islamic militants, who took 63 Americans as hostages. Also that same year, the Soviet Union invaded Afghanistan.
Thus, 2020 was not the worst year in history.