Last week I mentioned all the government departments, agencies, boards, commissions, etc. that could be eliminated or privatized. Now I will focus on what mergers that can take place within the federal government.
Department of Agriculture
- Transfer the Forest Service, Natural Resources Conservation Service, Wildlife Damage Management, and Wildlife Services to the Department of the Interior.
- Transfer the Rural Development, Rural Housing Service, and Rural Utilities Service to the Department of Housing & Urban Development (to be renamed Housing & Development).
- Transfer the Rural Development Business and Cooperative Programs to the Department of Commerce.
- Acquire the Bureau of Alcohol & Tobacco from the Department of Justice.
- Acquire the Farm Credit Administration*.
Department of Commerce
- Transfer the Bureau of the Census to the Department of Housing & Urban Development (to be renamed Housing & Development).
- Transfer the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration to the Department of the Interior.
- Acquire Rural Development Business and Cooperative Programs from the Department of Agriculture.
- Acquire the Commodity Futures Trading Commission*, Consumer Product Safety Commission*, Federal Communications Commission*, Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council*, Federal Trade Commission*, National Credit Union Administration*, Securities and Exchange Commission*, and the United States International Trade Commission*.
Department of Defense
- Acquire the Coast Guard from the Department of Homeland Security.
- Acquire the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Acquire the Armed Forces Retirement Home*, Defense Nuclear Facilities Board* and the Selective Service System*
Department of Health & Human Services
- Acquire the Federal Emergency Management Agency from the Department of Homeland Security.
- Acquire the Architectural and Transportation Barriers Compliance Board (Access Board)*, Chemical Safety Board*, Joint Fire Science Program*, National Council on Disability*, and the National Interagency Fire Center*.
Department of Homeland Security
- To be placed under the Department of Justice, exceptions being the United States Coast Guard being transferred to the Department of Defense, Federal Emergency Management Agency being transferred to the Department of Health & Human Services, and the Transportation Security Administration being abolished (and being replaced by private security companies).
Department of Housing & Urban Development
- To be renamed the Department of Housing & Development.
- Acquire the Rural Development, Rural Housing Service, and Rural Utilities Service from the Department of Agriculture.
- Acquire the Bureau of the Census from the Department of Commerce.
- Acquire the Appalachian Regional Commission*, Election Assistance
Commission*, Interagency Council on Homelessness*, and the Federal
Housing Finance Agency*.
Department of Justice
- Acquire the Department of Homeland Security except for the United States
Coast Guard, Federal Emergency Management Agency, and the Transportation Security Agency.
- The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services and United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement shall be abolished and replaced
by their predecessor (the Immigration & Naturalization Service), and the
duty of customs enforcement shall be transferred to U.S. Customs and
- The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms Enforcement should be
divided into a Bureau of Alcohol and Tobacco (which shall be transferred to
the Department of Agriculture) and a Firearms Enforcement Division
(which shall be transferred to the FBI).
- The Federal Bureau of Investigation would acquire the Drug Enforcement
- Acquire the Commission on Civil Rights*, Coordinating Council on
Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention*, National Indian Gaming
Commission*, Privacy & Civil Liberties Oversight Board*, and the State
Department of Labor
- Acquire the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission*, Federal
Mediation and Conciliation Service*, National Labor Relations Board*,
National Mediation Board*, Occupational Safety and Health Review
Commission*, Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation*, and the Railroad
Department of State
- Acquire the Commission on International Religious Freedom*,
Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe (Helsinki Commission)*, Panama Canal Commission*, and the United States Institute of Peace*.
- Acquire the Open World Leadership Center from the Legislative Branch.
Department of the Interior
- Acquire the Forest Service, Natural Resources & Environment, Wildlife
Damage Management, and Wildlife Services from the Department of Agriculture.
- Acquire the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration from the
Department of Commerce.
- Acquire the Advisory Council on Historic Preservation*, American Battle
Monuments Commission*, Arctic Research Commission*, Delaware River
Basin Commission*, Environmental Protection Agency*, Federal
Committee for the Management of Noxious and Exotic Weeds*, Interstate
Commission on the Potomac River Basin*, Marine Mammal Commission*,
Mississippi River Commission*, National Archives and Records
Administration*, National Constitution Center*, National Park Foundation,
Nuclear Regulatory Commission*, Nuclear Waste Technical Review
Board*, and the Susquehanna River Basin Commission*.
Department of Transportation
- Acquire the Federal Maritime Commission* and the National Transportation Safety Board*.
Department of the Treasury
- The Internal Revenue Service shall be abolished.
- Acquire the Taxpayer Advocacy Council*.
Department of Veterans Affairs
- To be placed under the Department of Defense.
Federal Interagency Commission
- Acquire the Administrative Committee of the Federal Register*,
Administrative Conference of the United States*, Chief Acquisition
Officers Council*, Chief Financial Officers Council*, Chief Human Capital
Officers Council*, Chief Information Officers Council*, Council of
Inspectors General on Integrity & Efficiency*, Federal Accounting
Standards Advisory Board*, Federal Advisory Committees*, Federal
Executive Boards*, Federal Geographic Data Committee*, Federal
Interagency Council on Statistical Policy*, Federal Labor Relations
Authority*, Federal Laboratory Consortium for Technology Transfer*,
Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board*, General Services
Administration*, Interagency Alternate Dispute Resolution Working
Group*, Merit Systems Protection Board*, Office of Compliance*, Office
of Government Ethics*, Office of Personnel Management*, Office of
Special Counsel*, and the U.S. Ability One Commission*.
If a red wave occurs come November, then such mergers just might take place.
Independent agencies, boards, and commissions are marked with *.