Oscar-winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead of an apparent drug overdose — with a hypodermic needle still stuck in his arm — inside a Greenwich Village apartment on Sunday, cops said.
A personal assistant found Hoffman in his underwear on a bathroom floor at 35 Bethune St. and called 911 around 11:30 a.m., sources said.
Cops found heroin inside the apartment, where Hoffman has been living recently, sources said. “He was shooting up in the bathroom,” a law-enforcement source said.
The building is less than three blocks from the three-bedroom, 2-1/2-bath apartment on Jane Street that Hoffman, 46, and longtime girlfriend Mimi O’Donnell, a costume designer, bought for $4.4 million in 2008.
The couple have three children together.
In 2006, Hoffman publicly admitted that he nearly succumbed to substance abuse after graduating from NYU’s drama school, but got sober in rehab.
Read more: NYPost.com