Police had ‘three contacts’ with suspect Elliot Rodger before a mass shooting on Friday night in Isla Vista that left seven dead and thirteen injured.
Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown said on Saturday that police had conducted a ‘welfare check’ on 22-year-old Rodger on April 30.
Police spokeswoman Kelly Hoover has said the wellness check will be reviewed as authorities continue their investigation.
On January 15, 2014, Rodger made a citizen’s arrest when his roommate allegedly stole three candles from him worth $22, Brown said.
Rodger also called police on July 31, 2013 and claimed to be the victim of assault, Brown said, though police believe Rodger may have actually been the aggressor. No charges were filed.
Attorney Alan Shifman earlier told reporters that the Rodger family called police several weeks ago after being alarmed by YouTube videos ‘regarding suicide and the killing of people’ that Rodger had been posting.
Police interviewed Rodger and found him to be a ‘perfectly polite, kind and wonderful human,’ but noted that he had few friends and no girlfriend, he added. Police did not find a history of guns.