The investigations of the murders at the Emanuel AME church have only started. President Obama headed to his teleprompter and said,
“At some point, we as a country will have to reckon with the fact that this type of mass violence does not happen in other advanced countries. It doesn’t happen in other places with this kind of frequency. And it is in our power to do something about it.”
Joe Biden read from the same playbook.
“As a nation, we must confront the ravages of gun violence and the stain of hatred that continues to be visited on our streets, in our schools, in our houses of worship and in our communities.”
Mr. Obama made his comments moments before he flew off to attend three fundraising events in Hollywood, California.
What the president hid from reporters was this. South Carolina churches are already gun free zones. South Carolina law prohibits concealable-weapon permit holders from carrying at churches unless given “express permission by the appropriate church official.”
That law disarmed honorable gun owners but absolutely failed to prevent the murderer from walking into the church late Wednesday during a Bible study session.
We’ve seen what good people do in bad situations. Jeanne Assam walked toward the gunfire and stopped a mass murder in the attack on the New Life Church in Colorado Springs. So much for gun free zones.
Someone should introduce our president to search engines. I only looked back a few years and found these mass murders outside the United States —
– 68 students were shot and killed on Utoya island in Norway,
– 1 soldier was shot to death in the attack on the Canadian parliament complex,
– 135 people were shot in the attack on the Westgate shopping mall in Nairobi, Kenya,
– 11 people were shot to death in the office of Charlie Hebdo in Paris France,
– 385 people were shot and killed in the school massacre in Beslan, Russia,
– 40 college students were kidnapped and killed by police in Mexico,
– 143 people were wounded by a separatist group who stabbed railway passengers in Kunming, China,
– 147 students were murdered at Garissa University College in Kenya,
– This week, Mexican smuggling gangs gunned down 160 migrants who were being trafficked through Mexico on their way to the United States.
Facts don’t matter when politics are in play. I wrote about “The Next Mass Murder” over a year ago. I’m seeing how many of my predictions are confirmed about this murder at the AME church.