What Nancy Pelosi (D) just said about President George W. Bush will make you ask… WTF?
The House Minority Leader and über-Progressive from California said that Dubya was ‘one of the best presidents on immigration’.
“George W. Bush was one of the best presidents on immigration, in terms of the respect that he has for people and the policy advocated he couldn’t persuade his party,” she said during an interview with Politico on Friday.
Pelosi said Democrats will work with Republicans when they can find common ground, even though that common ground is rapidly shifting.
“We have a responsibility to find common ground and I did with Speaker [John] Boehner as well,” she said.
Read more: Washington Examiner
Well, maybe it’s not such a surprise.
Pelosi and Bush seemed to get along quite well:
But… Dubya’s policies were somewhat similar to President Trump’s in some ways:
Look at his 5-point plan on Immigration:
In 2006, I gave the first-ever primetime presidential address on immigration. “We’re a nation of laws, and we must enforce our laws,” I said. “We’re also a nation of immigrants, and we must uphold that tradition, which has strengthened our country in so many ways.” I then laid out a five-part plan to reform the immigration system:
- A major new investment in border security, including doubling the Border Patrol by the end of 2008 and temporarily deploy 6000 National Guard troops
- The temporary worker program, which would include a tamper-proof identification card
- Stricter immigration enforcement at businesses, which would reduce exploitation and help slow demand for illegal workers
- Promote assimilation by requiring immigrants to learn English
- What to do with the approximately twelve million illegal immigrants in the country? [I outlined] a rational middle ground between granting an automatic path to citizenship for every illegal immigrant and a program of mass deportation.
Read more: On The Issues
And here are some of Trump’s statements on Immigration:
- We have many criminal illegal aliens. When we want to send them back to their country, their country says we don’t want them. In some cases, they’re murderers and drug lords. And they don’t want them. Clinton as secretary of state said “That’s OK, we can’t force it into their country.” I’m going to force them right back into their country. They’re murderers and some very bad people. The Border Patrol agents, 16,500, just recently endorsed me, and they endorsed me because I understand the border.
- We cannot allow companies to abuse this system. When we have American citizens and those living in the United States legally being pushed out of high paying jobs so that they can be replaced with “cheaper” labor, something is wrong. The H1-B system should be employed only when jobs cannot be filled with qualified Americans and legal residents.
- We’re losing our jobs. People are pouring into our country. The other day, we were deporting 800 people. And perhaps they passed the wrong button, or perhaps worse than that, it was corruption, but these people that we were going to deport for good reason ended up becoming citizens. Now it turns out it might be 1,800, and they don’t even know.This is a country where we speak English, not Spanish. (Sep 2015)
- Clinton wants to give amnesty, which is a disaster and very unfair to all of the people that are waiting on line for many, many years. We need strong borders. In the audience tonight, we have four mothers whose children have been killed, brutally killed by people that came into the country illegally. You have thousands of mothers and fathers and relatives all over the country. They’re coming in illegally. Drugs are pouring in through the border. We have no country if we have no border.
- Donald Trump said the Republican party will lose elections if it reforms the nation’s entitlement programs and will hand Democrats 11 million votes if Congress grants citizenship to illegal immigrants, likening the reform efforts to a “suicide mission.” “The fact is 11 million people will be voting Democratic. You can be out front. You can be the spearhead. You can do whatever you want to do, but every one of those 11 million people will be voting Democratic,” he said. “It is just the way it works.”
Read more: On The Issues
Aha! That’s it!
Maybe this is the reason Nancy fancies Dubya:
Bush 43 was ok with a ‘Pathway to citizenship’, which Trump called a ‘GOP suicide mission’.