Trump pulled out of the Obama-era nuke deal with Iran and, according to the media, we are supposed to immediately engage in “the sky is falling, the sky is falling” hysterics. I ask, are American adults so collectively stupid as to buy into such nonsense?
Then I tune into CNN, MSNBC, et al, and am sadly reminded that the infantilization of our culture continues. So yes, we now propose to give 16-year-olds the right to vote because an unfortunate number of American adults have been successfully dumbed down to the point where they’ll buy whatever they are told. And they’ll do so thinking that by doing so they are revolutionary in doing so. No doubt one can even buy chic revolutionary attire online these days. Anyway…
The argument goes like this:
– Trump pulled out of the Iran nuke deal.
– Trump shouldn’t have.
– Trump shouldn’t have because the Iranians were living up to the deal.
– Iran needs nuclear power so their economy isn’t dependent upon petroleum.
– Never mind the Iranians never signed the deal thank you, John Kerry.
– We know the Iranians were living up to their end of the deal they never signed because basically, the Iranians and everyone the Iranians allowed to observe their situation agreed that the Iranians were living up to their deal.
Enter from stage left Harvey Weinstein, Charlie Rose, Matt Lauer, Eric Schneiderman, et al. Imagine, and it isn’t hard since all of these Jack Ass Party superstars are accused of sexually abusing women, that a woman lodged a complaint against one of them. How accepting would we then be of the complaint?
Would we say:
– She stormed out of his office.
– She shouldn’t have for heaven’s sake, he’s a big name in the business, don’t you know.
– She shouldn’t have left his office anyway. He was just doing, you know, what people in his position have done for years and years now. It’s accepted behavior.
– Oh, by the way, he denied ever touching her let alone sexually assaulting her. Everyone says so.
– And if you say we ought to build more nuclear power plants so our economy isn’t dependent upon petroleum you are a traitor to big oil.
Aren’t we today taking any and every allegation against anyone and everyone with a penis as seriously as can be? (If you said no, I’d love to know whether you were in support of the Stormy Daniels 2010 Senate campaign.) Yes, there are some strange exceptions to this paradigm. Bill Clinton and his frequent flights on those pedophiliac “Lolita Express” treks comes to mind. So does Joe Biden’s tendency to serially grope women whether cameras are present or not.
The fundamental problem is that we aren’t treating the truly serious in a serious manner anymore, and as a result we grant ourselves permission to treat the unserious as serious. This is what happens in a culture that gradually infantilizes itself.
The Iran nuke deal is a very serious topic.
Serial sexual misconduct by elites is a very serious topic.
But upon which Is our national dialogue centered? Topics that adults care about or those that only make sense when framed in a twelve-year-old tweets?
Image: Excerpted from: https://pixabay.com/en/lost-women-woman-female-girl-2607118/