A new government report is going to put a real damper on the gun grabbers that believe that clamping down on gun sales will reduce crime.
In what will come as an absolute shocker to The Media(D) and gun-grabbing leftists, (but I repeat myself,) it turns out that criminals don’t obey the law. Not only that, they don’t obey gun laws either.
A new report released by the Department of Justice shows that the vast majority of criminals who were in possession of a firearm when they committed the crime obtained the gun illegally. Shocker, right? The report is based on a 2016 survey of both state and federal prisoners who were in possession of a firearm during their crime. The survey reveals that only around 7% of guns had been legally obtained from a licensed firearm dealer. Almost half were purchased from the underground market.
An estimated 287,400 prisoners had possessed a frearm during their ofense. Among these, more than half (56%) had either stolen it (6%), found it at the scene of the crime (7%), or obtained it of the street or from the underground market (43%). Most of the remainder (25%) had obtained it from a family member or friend, or as a gif. Seven percent had purchased it under their own name from a licensed frearm dealer.
You know that ‘Gun Show Loophole’ that is often repeated as the way that criminals get their hands on firearms and used as a fearmongering tactic by the anti-gun crowd?
Barry committed to closing the loophole by executive order:
Yeah, about that loophole that hands over weapons to criminals…
The survey also revealed that only 0.8 percent of prisoners who possessed a gun during their offense got the firearm from a gun show, a statistic which shows that “gun show loopholes” often decried by gun control advocates are not contributing significantly to crime.
“[The survey has] consistently show that there is no such thing as criminals exploiting a ‘gun show loophole’ to arm themselves for their crimes,” said Lawrence G. Keane, senior vice president of government and public affairs for the National Shooting Sports Foundation, according to Guns.com. “Perhaps lawmakers should spend less time on these ‘solutions in search of a problem’ and more time on fixing the background check system, or on any of the issues that voters actually rank as a priority.”
Source: The Blaze
Included in the DOJ report are some handy tables for reference and a boxed off section with the highlights.
This table shows that only around 10% of all prisoners obtained their gun from a retail source:
Table 6 shows that almost 90% of prisoners obtained their guns from somewhere other than a retail source:
Here are some highlights:
In case you can’t read it, here it is in full:
- About 21% of state and 20% of federal prisoners said they possessed a gun during their offense, while 79% of state and 80% of federal prisoners did not.
- About 29% of state and 36% of federal prisoners serving time for a violent offense possessed a gun during the offense.
- About 1.3% of prisoners obtained a gun from a retail source and used it during their offense.
- Handguns were the most common type of firearm possessed by state and federal prisoners (18% each); 11% of all prisoners used a handgun.
- Among prisoners who possessed a gun during their offense, 90% did not obtain it from a retail source.
- Among prisoners who possessed a firearm during their offense, 0.8% obtained it at a gun show.
- About 1 in 5 state and federal prisoners who possessed a firearm during their offense obtained it with the intent to use it during the crime.
- Among state prisoners who possessed a gun during their offense, 27% killed someone with it, another 12% injured someone, 7% fired the gun but did not injure anyone, and 54% did not fire it.
- State prisoners with no military service were more likely to possess a gun during their offense (21%) than prisoners who had served in the military (16%).
So, basically, criminals don’t obey laws — even gun laws, and restricting access to law-abiding citizens to legally obtain a firearm doesn’t help in reducing crime.
Now, we just need to get The Left and The Media(D) to face reality.
By the way, since Facebook has unpublished ClashDaily’s page, your best bet to keep in the loop is to Subscribe to our ClashDaily Newsletter right here:
We’re also moving onto a new platform, MeWe. It’s like Facebook without the data breaches and censorship.
Sign up and you can still get all the ClashDaily goodness by joining our MeWe group.
Do you love what we’re doing at Clash?
Do you want to kick in to our ‘war chest’ so that we Happy Warriors can maximize the size of the footprint we leave on Leftism’s backside? Here’s a link for ya to do just that.