After the candidates had already agreed to terms of the debates, the debate commission made a unilateral decision about the next debate … and Trump isn’t biting.
A wrench was thrown into the process when we learned that he had tested positive for ‘the Rona’, but with the latest treatment he is seemingly already on the mend, and could have produced negative tests by then.
That didn’t stop the commission from announcing that the format of next week’s debate would be changed.
Since the campaigns had some say in the original format, you’d think the commission would have consulted the candidates or their reps before making any changes.
Judging by the President’s response to the announced changes, they did no such thing.
What was the proposed change?
The debate participants would be involved remotely.
Considering how many times Biden has been caught reading from a prompter when responding to supposedly unscripted questions from the media or others, this scenario sets up a distinct lack of any accountability.
The ‘virtual’ format is, quite simply, unacceptable.
Trump even said as much.
“The commission changed the debate style and that’s not acceptable to us,” Trump said on “Mornings with Maria.” “I beat him in the first debate, I beat him easily.”
The president added that he expected to “beat him in the second debate also.”
“I’m not going to do a virtual debate,” Trump went on. “I’m not going to waste my time at a virtual debate.”
Biden responded to Trump’s claims while talking to reporters in Delaware on Thursday.
“We don’t know what the president is going to do, he changes his mind every second so for me to comment on that now would be irresponsible,” Biden said. “I’m going to follow the commission recommendations.”
During his interview on Thursday, the president said he wasn’t going to “sit at a computer” to debate, calling it “ridiculous.”
“They’re trying to protect Biden,” Trump said. “Everybody is.”
Moments later, Trump campaign manager Bill Stepien said the CPD was rushing to Biden’s “defense by unilaterally canceling an in-person debate,” calling it “pathetic.”
“That’s not what debates are about or how they’re done,” Stepien said. “Here are the facts: President Trump will have posted multiple negative tests prior to the debate, so there is no need for this unilateral declaration. The safety of all involved can easily be achieved without canceling a chance for voters to see both candidates go head to head.”
He added: “We’ll pass on this sad excuse to bail out Joe Biden and do a rally instead.” –FoxNews
The commission has no real authority or accountability, they consistently put their thumb on the political scale, and many on the right have been saying it’s about time someone called them on it.
Trump is standing by the original planned date and plan.
I am looking forward to the debate on the evening of Thursday, October 15th in Miami. It will be great!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 6, 2020
Trump is exactly the kind of guy who would gladly tell all these blowhards to go pound sand. Maybe it’s time we dismantle the whole damned commission and just let the campaign teams hash out mutually acceptable terms without all their bull$#^!.