In the aftermath of the Supreme Court reversing Roe v. Wade in its Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, many individuals did not hesitate to criticize the court’s ruling. Protests have occurred throughout the nation, including Washington, D.C., New York City, Chicago, and Phoenix. Some of these protests have become violent, and have received little (if any) criticism from Democratic politicians.
Meanwhile, three Catholics (and one non-Catholic) have said the following about the court’s decision, beginning with Joe Biden:
- “It’s a sad day for the Court and America”.
There is nothing sad about trying to protect the unborn.
- “Today, the Supreme Court of the United States expressly took away a constitutional right from the American people that it had already recognized.”
Abortion is not a constitutional right. It is not even mentioned in the Constitution. And I doubt the Founding Fathers would have approved of abortion.
- “Fifty years ago, Roe v. Wade was decided and has been the law of the land since then.”
Roe v. Wade was not the law of the land, it was the Supreme Court’s ruling, as is the case with other rulings the Supreme Court has issued.
Meanwhile, Nancy Pelosi had her comments on the Supreme Court’s decision:
- “We can either sit back and admit defeat to these far-right extremists, or we can rise up, meet this once-in-a-generation moment, and marshal a response so historic that we make every last anti-choice Republican regret what they’ve done.”
Trying to protect the unborn does not make someone a far-right extremist. But her subsequent words make her sound like an extremist, and left-wing extremist to be exact. And what exactly does she mean by making the anti-choice Republicans regret what they’ve done?
Then, there are remarks by Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez:
- “People will die because of this decision.”
No, this decision will be saving lives instead of ending them.
- “Understand that the right-wing, aided by billionaires, corporations, and the very rich, spent decades to build to this moment of overturning Roe.”
First of all, she needs to put things in plain English. Second, there are those billionaires, corporations, and the very rich who support abortion (among other left-wing causes), especially, various corporations are providing abortion benefits in the aftermath of the Supreme Court’s ruling.
Finally, there are the following remarks by Maxine Waters:
- “The hell with the Supreme Court, we will defy them.”
How exactly does she plan to defy the Supreme Court?
It should be noted that both AOC and Waters have called for people to take it to the streets- something that the latter has called for in the past. The question remains: are they condoning violence? If so, then they are hypocrites considering how much noise they’ve made about the January 6 riot.