In 20 years of being a pastor and counseling people through their family trials and relationship troubles, here are a dozen things I’ve never heard anyone say:
1. My wife and I pray together every day.
2. We asked for your help because after following the Bible’s commands for husbands to love their wives and for wives to respect their husbands, our marriage started falling apart.
3. We need help with our son/daughter because we mistakenly took too much interest in his/her choice of friends.
4. We all hate each other now that we’ve shut off the TV as a family and started spending quality time together.
5. Serving my spouse and putting him/her ahead of myself has ruined our relationship. We were so happy when we lived selfishly.
6. Life was so much better back when we were racing around constantly and involving ourselves and our children in every possible activity.
7. Our marriage was really thriving when we were chasing money, both working as much as we could.
8. Our problems began when we started spending more meaningful time with spiritually-mature believers from our church.
9. There’s too much good decision making, wisdom, and discernment in our family. I think we might be spending too much time in the Proverbs.
10. We’ve been intentionally committed to growing spiritually as individuals and as a family, consistently seeking the Lord with all our hearts.
11. We’ve been very humble and quick to forgive each other. We have purposely refused to allow any bitterness to exist.
12. I think Dad is taking too much spiritual leadership in the home.