A whole lot of people on the left were “fact-checking” Elon’s tweet.
Since the $44 billion purchase of Twitter, Elon Musk’s tweets have been attracting even more attention than they used to.
On Thursday, Musk tweeted a cartoon meme that shows how the left has moved far from the center while centrists and the right have stayed in the same place.
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) April 28, 2022
While this is a rather simplistic depiction, it is how many people feel the political spectrum has shifted.
The headline from the Daily Mail is just hilarious:
To frame this as Musk moving to the right completely misses the point of that cartoon. Two stick figures stay in the same spot and only one of them has moved — the one on the left.
The Daily Mail apparently isn’t familiar with the concept of the “Overton Window“.
The article itself is just as hilarious.
The image depicts a stick figure labeled ‘me’ remaining stationary relative to another labeled ‘conservative’, as the figure at the ‘liberal’ end of the spectrum moves further and further to the left.
By the final diagram, labeled 2021, the ‘me’ figure is to the right of the center line, as the conservative chuckles and the liberal – now labeled ‘woke progressive’ – accuses the centrist of bigotry.
Musk shared the post without comment, but his political views have taken on new significance after his $44billion deal to buy Twitter and his declaration the platform should be ‘politically neutral’.
Responding to his tweet, many angry liberals claimed conservatives had grown more extreme since 2008, the year Barack Obama was first elected president.
Source: Daily Mail
Ah, yes, the ol’ “Republicans became extreme after Obama” routine.
That very predictable response — “Ackshually… it’s not the Democrats that have moved far left, it’s really that Republicans have moved to the right!” — was all over Twitter with charts and graphs and research that shows how this is so very obviously true.
Your position is that the Republican Party, during the time it made Donald Trump its leader, did not move rightward, but that the Democratic Party, during a time it made Joe Biden its leader, moved radically far to the left. I disagree.
— Dan Riffle (@DanRiffle) April 28, 2022
Well, if a cartoon on the internet says so, it must be tru– wait, what’s this?https://t.co/63J3t3iekH
— Kevin M. Kruse (@KevinMKruse) April 28, 2022
Data do show asymmetric polarization – but the opposite of this claim.
The GOP has shifted to the far-right since the 1990s, embracing illiberalism & anti-democratic views.
The Democratic Party has not shifted far-left.@TheEIU: https://t.co/TS7BJszIRp https://t.co/ULVEiOAAEB pic.twitter.com/HgfJkMS9EC
— Alex Howard (@digiphile) April 28, 2022
CNN hack Asha Rangappa hilariously tweeted a link to the New York Times to show how the GOP is further right than many right-leaning parties in Europe and Canada.
— Asha Rangappa (@AshaRangappa_) April 28, 2022
If it’s true, then name one policy where Republicans have moved further to the right.
While political winds have shifted, it seems to me that a whole lot of Republicans have moved to the center or even left on things like gay marriage, trusting Big Pharma, and interventionist foreign wars.
Here are a just a few examples of where Democrats have taken an absolute lurch to the left since 2008:
- In 2008, Obama, Hillary, and many other Democrats were against gay marriage
- In 2019, Joe Biden reversed his decades-long position of supporting the Hyde Amendment which bans taxpayer-funded abortion
- The left’s view of abortion used to be “safe, legal, and rare” but now it’s “shout your abortion” and should be legal up to the moment of birth
- Stopping illegal immigration and “building a wall” was a bipartisan position
- Both former President Bill Clinton and Joe Biden are running away from the 1994 Crime Bill that they both pushed
- “Defund the police” is practically a mantra on the left
- The Biden administration is promoting the pharmacological and even surgical gender transition of minors which would have been unthinkable just a few years ago
- Major Democrat figures like Bernie Sanders and AOC embrace socialism
- The Left used to distrust Big Pharma, but now wants mandatory vaccines for COVID
- Fought for free speech but now demand censorship of their opponents
- Despise the Founders and Framers as “problematic” and “racist”
- Insist that the country itself is systemically racist
- Democrats now embrace Big Corporations and are turning away from blue-collar workers
- “Environmentalism” now means fighting “climate change” with the Green New Deal by eliminating fossil fuel use while relying on solar panels and windmills made in China
- Embraces discrimination against particular groups — the unvaccinated, women who advocate for women-only spaces, white men, and visible minority conservatives
- Suddenly became hawkish and want to flex military might when Russia invaded Ukraine
What the Libs replying to Elon don’t seem to realize is that the sources that they’re citing also tilt left and they’re defending their position.
Normal people, however, really relate to the meme.
The creator of Dogecoin, Shibetoshi Nakamoto, replied to the tweet saying that he used to consider himself a progressive and now considers himself a moderate even though his views haven’t changed. Elon replied, “Same.”
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) April 28, 2022
The GOP has become the Big Tent party and the libs just can’t seem to either see it or deal with it.
It just means that they’ll alienate even more voters for the midterms and 2024.
Psalms of War: Prayers That Literally Kick Ass is a collection, from the book of Psalms, regarding how David rolled in prayer. I bet you haven’t heard these read, prayed, or sung in church against our formidable enemies — and therein lies the Church’s problem. We’re not using the spiritual weapons God gave us to waylay the powers of darkness. It might be time to dust them off and offer ‘em up if you’re truly concerned about the state of Christ’s Church and of our nation.
Also included in this book, Psalms of War, are reproductions of the author’s original art from his Biblical Badass Series of oil paintings.
This is a great gift for the prayer warriors. Real. Raw. Relevant.