“The tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School is never far from our minds,” Malloy told the press. “With strong resolve and a determination to move forward, we can do our best to support the people of Newtown.”
The $50 million appropriation was formally approved by the State Bond Commission on September 27. On October 5 Newtown residents overwhelmingly voted to pass a referendum that will lead to Sandy Hook’s demoltion.
“As far as the $50 million [is concerned], it comes without strings, it does not have to be repaid, it has no impact on the tax rate,” Newtown Interim School Superintendent John Reed said. “It is an attempt on the part of the state to make Newtown whole. That means we had seven schools when we started the school year last year, and I think it’s the state’s judgment that we have seven schools now.”
There remain numerous unanswered questions concerning the Sandy Hook School shooting—the most severe in recent history. The press has not yet been provided with photographic, video, or related forensic evidence customarily released following such events.
Read more: rinf.com