It looks like the “Live Free or Die” mantra that has been the characteristic of the United States since 1776 isn’t quite gone yet.
But some of our state and local governments are working very, very hard to kill it.
As a side note, let’s contrast federal responses to coronavirus quarantines in two similar jurisdictions–the good ol’ U.S. of A. and our neighbors to the north, Canada. The United States has made recommendations but has allowed the states to make their own decisions, whereas, the government of Canada, although allowing provinces to make their own determinations, has also imposed stiff fines and jail time for those who had left the country in March and returned after travel had been restricted. Failing to self-quarantine for 14 days could mean up to $750,000 fine and 6 months in prison, or if you have put others “at risk” it coud be a cool $1,000,000 fine and 3 years in prison. The quarantine orders are being verified by the RCMP.
The feds in the U.S. aren’t imposing anything like that heavy-handed response.
But state and local officials are going pretty far and becoming certified COVIDictators.
Some of the worst offenders have been Democrat governors that have imposed ridiculous fiats demanding compliance or facing penalties.
Fortunately, some jurisdictions are turning against these diktats.
Here’s a list of some of the worst examples of governments trampling the rights of Americans and using the global pandemic as an excuse.
- A 19-year old Pennsylvania woman was ticketed $200 for taking a drive which allegedly violated the state’s Stay-At-Home order.
- A paddleboarder was arrested in Malibu for… paddleboarding. The beaches are closed due to coronavirus.
- A Colorado man was handcuffed in front of his 6-year old daughter for playing tee-ball with her in an empty park.
- Philadelphia transit has some very confusing rules about whether or not riders must don masks, but that didn’t stop several police officers from dragging a man off of the bus for not wearing one.
- Kentucky has put ankle monitors to verify the location of several residents who have violated self-quarantine orders.
- Two New Jersey residents were arrested for holding large gatherings including a wedding.
- Multiple states have banned the sale of “non-essential” items even if the stores themselves remain open.
- The Boston suburb of Beverley has set up one-way “social distancing” sidewalks and issues a $100 fine if the new order is violated.
- The awful family court decision that caused an ER doctor to lose custody of her 4-year-old daughter because of an “increased risk” of contracting COVID-19.
- Governor Andrew Cuomo was planning on using the National Guard to seize ventilators and personal protective equipment (PPE) from upstate New York and bring it to NYC.
ClashDaily has a whole collection of articles relating to the way that churches have been treated in the midst of this pandemic:
- Florida Pastor Arrested And Charged For Disregarding State Mandate Forbidding Church Attendance
- WATCH: Florida Pastor Arrested For Defying Government Gave The PERFECT Response
- Thousands Sign Petition To Have Pastor ARRESTED For Violating State Ban On Large Gatherings
- Cops Sent To Break Up Tiny Church Meeting… Refused Entry By Church Leadership
- COVID TYRANNY: Several States Are Imposing Severe Restrictions On Church Services For Easter Sunday
- Rand Paul BBQs Kentucky Governor Over Anti-Easter Police State Policies
- Justice Department Sides With Churches In First Amendment Lawsuit Against Local Government
- COVID-19 Crisis And The Church
It certainly seems as though some of the authorities are saying that the price that must be paid for our safety is giving up some of our liberty, and that is patently unAmerican.
It seems that there are some Americans haven’t lost that Spirit of ’76 and they’re pushing back against the benevolent dictatorships that are popping up these days like the little plastic rodents in a Whac-A-Mole game. Just keep (figuratively) smacking them down and eventually they’ll get the message. If they don’t, well, you know that the big mallet is coming up in November…
President Trump hasn’t been the authoritarian dictator reincarnation of Hitler that they said that he would be, but many of his critics have decided to don the jackboots themselves.
On November 3, American citizens can make it crystal clear to the smiley-faced liberal fascists that their authoritarianism isn’t welcome and that liberty sometimes has an orange tint and sports a golden combover.